The organization of FRAC consists of a Central Steering Committee, Working Groups and Expert Fora. The Central Steering Committee is made up of a Chairperson, a Secretary/ Treasurer, a Communications officer and the chairs of each working group and expert forum. Ad hoc members may be appointed by the committee as needed. This committee is responsible for managing the day to day operations of the group including finance, creating new working groups as new fungicide modes of action come on the market, maintaining and updating technical advisory information and liaising with regional FRAC and FRAG organizations. They delegate authority to the Working Groups and Expert Fora as needed.
Currently, there are 6 working groups focused on specific modes of action, one working group, the banana group, focused on a specific commodity, and one working group, the MOA Expert Panel, focused on MOA listings. New working groups are encouraged to form to coordinate resistance management activities when two or more member companies have compounds of similar mode of action and/or cross-resistance potential exists. Such a working group may start as a "task force" to decide if a new working group is required. Companies with a compound in the market or in late stage development are encouraged to participate in working groups. Organizations involved solely in the distribution of a compound are invited to attend certain meetings. After calling on experts for technical and legal advice, the Working Groups recommend TECHNICAL strategies aimed at prolonging the useful life of the group of fungicides at risk and encourage their implementation.
Working Groups establish and direct collaboration on:
- Monitoring programs - share methodologies and definitions (in some cases developing common methodologies), establish base-line data, agree to joint interpretation of results.
- Research – define areas of basic and applied research that needs to be done, help to influence the direction, methodology and reporting of work already done.
- Educational programs – encourage the publication of research results and provide relevant information to the Committee.
- Verification of reports on resistance, statements, investigations, remedies.
- Formulation of use strategies in terms of resistance prevention or delay and checking on the implementation of such strategies.
- Monitoring and guiding the activity of national/regional sub-groups.
The FRAC Banana Group is the only crop based Working Group and deals with all modes of action used to control banana diseases. The group includes representatives of the major banana producers as well as representatives from the manufacturers and/or distributors of products based on different AIs.
Expert Fora are formed when the day to day activities of a Working Group are no longer deemed necessary by the Working Group and the Committee. The Expert Fora are constructed as informal networks of experts around the world. The objective of each Forum is to provide a general overview of the resistance situation globally. Updates are made on an "as needed" basis as new information becomes available.